Here is a post I did for http://twiniversity.com/
See original post http://twiniversity.com/2015/08/back-to-school-snacks-your-kids-will-devour-video/
Oh Wow, already time to go back to school! Here are some healthy (ish) and yummy snack recipes to send your kids back to school with energy and full tummies. I hope you and your kids enjoy them.
Cherry Chocolate Energy Bars
- In a mixing bowl mix 1 stick of softened butter ½ agave nectar or honey and ½ cup of natural peanut butter (make sure to mix the PB well before adding)
- Add 1 egg, ½ cup packed brown sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix
- In a separate bowl combine ½ cup whole wheat flour, 4 ½ cup of rolled oats, 1 tsp baking soda and a dash of salt
- Carefully add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and combine
- Chop up 1 cup of dried cherries and add them to the mixing bowl
- Add 1 cup of mini chocolate chip and mix a final time
- Grease an oblong baking dish and turn out the dough, flatten with a spatula and more with your grease hands
- Bake in a 325 degree oven for 15-20 min
- Allow to cool and cut into bars
- Store in the refrigerator.
I originally got this recipe from ourbestbites.com but I adapted to my own preferences. http://ourbestbites.com/2011/09/how-to-make-homemade-fruit-roll-ups/
- Add 3 cups of fresh fruit (any combination) and 3 Tbsp agave nectar or honey to a blender or food processor. Blend into a puree
- Cover a baking sheet with freezer paper (shiny side up) and spray with cooking spray
- Pour puree over the paper and flatten and even out with a spatula
- Bake in a 170 degree oven for 6-8 hours, until completely dried out
- Cut into strips and roll up. Secure with a piece of double sided tape at the top
- Store in an air tight container
Jazzed Up Chex Mix
- Melt 1 stick of butter in the microwave and add 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp garlic powder 1 tsp onion powder (if you like a stronger flavor your can add 2 tsp of onion and garlic powder), stir to combine.
- In a very large bowl add 1 box of the corn chex, 1 box of rice chex, 1 box of golden grahams, 1 bag of plain goldfish crackers, 1 bag of cheddar goldfish crackers and 1 bag of pretzel goldfish crackers. Stir to mix up
- Pour the sauce over the crackers and stir to evenly coat
- Pour out on 2 baking sheets and bake in a degree oven for 25 (stiring every 8 min to prevent burning
- Turn out on a paper sack and let cool
- Add a bag of banana chips and stir to mix.
- Store in zip lock bags.